Help us stop rural isolation.
Christmas is usually a time for festive cheer and celebration, however, in rural Scotland it is also a time when isolation and poverty can be felt even more. Isolation can be felt by anyone at anytime, and 45% of UK adults say that they feel lonely some of the time. Scottish Rural Action would like to encourage people to #BeKindDecember and commit to one act of kindness this December.
How do I get involved?
Download and print our Christmas sweater image click here and complete the sentence ‘This December I will…’ by inserting your own act of kindness. Take a photo with you and the completed sweater image and post on your social media account/s with the hashtag #BeKindDecember
- Jumper Design YELLOW
- Jumper Design WHITE
- Jumper Design PINK
- Jumper Design GREEN
- Jumper Design BLUE
- Jumper Design BLACK & WHITE
Follow our 31 suggestions of acts of kindness that will be posted throughout December on Facebook and Twitter – use one of these suggestions in your own sweater image or share our suggestions on your own social media account(s).
Share the campaign with your friends, family and/or colleagues.
One act of kindness can really make a difference to someone who is feeling lonely – join us in raising awareness of isolation in rural Scotland and spread the message of #BeKindDecember.
Wearing your own Christmas sweater for your photo is optional!
Key facts about isolation
Isolation can affect anyone at any age
- 45% of UK adults report feeling lonely some of the time (1)
- Feeling isolated can have a negative impact on health and wellbeing (2)
- Living rurally can bring extra challenges for someone experiencing isolation such as geographical distance from a community, poor transport links and lack of access to services.
For urgent help or support please contact:
(1. Relationship Scotland/Relate 2016, ‘You are not alone, the quality of the UK’s relationships’)
(2. Cacioppo, Hawksted and Thisted 2010)